Swisstainable is made up of the terms Switzerland and Sustainable. It was launched by Switzerland Tourism and is the poster child of the current sustainability development. In the Rigi region, numerous businesses are getting involved and helping to make the Rigi one of the most sustainable mountain in Switzerland. Information on the Swisstainable programme can be found here.
The Rigi – Sustainable journey
- Over 60% of the guests make the journey to us on public transport.
- Clear acknowledgment of sustainability through the acceptance of the general abonnement and the Swiss Travel Pass by the RIGI BAHNEN AG.
- While older RIGI BAHNEN AG vehicles burn up the braking energy when travelling downhill, the new generation of trains will feed the energy gained from breaking back into our own grid as electricity and make it usable for trains travelling uphill.
- RIGI BAHNEN AG draws 100% of its electricity from renewable energy sources.
- The newly renovated train station in Vitznau has a photovoltaic cell system on the completely refurbished flat roof. With the installed system, the RIGI BAHNEN AG can avoid around 18,500 kg of CO2 emissions every year.
- The renovated roof at Berghaus Rigi Staffel received a photovoltaic system at the end of 2020. RIGI BAHNEN AG has a 50% share in the condominium ownership of this building and operates its Lok 7 restaurant there.
- Mineralbad & Spa Rigi Kaltbad: Using sustainably produced heat from the region. As an energy source, wood is CO2-neutral and renewable. For the forest owners, it also eliminates the long transport routes into the valley. The Rigi Kaltbad Mineral Bath & Spa is a major consumer, with 300 steres per year. This benefits our Bath guests, the local economy and the environment.
- Rigi Kulm Hotel: The photovoltaic system on the Rigi was one of the first PV systems with solar roof tiles, perfectly integrated into the roof in a sensitive environment for a landscape worthy of protection.
- The RIGI BAHNEN AG administration building and depot in Vitznau are expected to be heated or cooled with lake water from the eRIS project by winter 2022/23.
- Climate-neutral website hosting: The website servers are powered 100% by electricity from renewable/regenerative sources in our hoster's datacenter.
- The association Pro Rigi has been working for the fauna and flora on the Rigi since 1967 and, in addition to the special geology and thanks to great efforts, is responsible for the fact that over 50% of the orchid species native to Central Europe grow on the Rigi. Defined meadows along paths and railroad tracks are mowed only once in autumn, which promotes flower diversity.
- The flower trail is also a creation of Pro Rigi. It leads from Rigi Kaltbad via Chänzeli to Rigi Staffel and along the Felsenweg. In the course of the season, more than 200 plant species, which are marked with signs, can be seen and explored.
- The Rigi Wardens are responsible for the supervision and care of the Rigi nature and plant protection areas on behalf of the cantons of Lucerne and Schwyz. They provide information to Rigi guests as needed, as well as observing and reporting environmentally relevant occurrences to the chief of the watch. Every year, the 40 or so active wardens carry out around 400 patrols.
- Rigi Bahnen is committed to preserving the habitat of the endangered sand lizards living on the mountain. To achieve this goal, railroad operators are working with farmers on the mountain to draw up a maintenance plan for embankment care along the railroad track.
- Together with the company Railex, Rigi Bahnen is working to ensure that weeds on the tracks can be removed without the use of chemicals.
- A new cheese dairy is being built on Rigi First so that the milk no longer has to be driven down into the valley for processing.
- Rigi School: A group of young parents living on Rigi Kaltbad with children who will soon be of age to attend school would like to give the well-developed and «traffic-free» area of Rigi more of the role of a village, with attractive living, playing and learning space. A school plays a central role in this and is an important pillar of village development on Rigi Kaltbad. The school uses the special play and learning space for the benefit of the children and at the same time facilitates the working life of the parents on Rigi. New families are attracted by such an attractive place to work, which also creates added value for employers on the mountain.
- Rigi for All: Rigi is a partner of the OK:GO initiative and is committed to obstacle-free travel. In addition, we offer barrier-free experience options, such as the JST Mountaindrive or wheelchair motor rental.
- Switzerland Tourism's highest award: Swisstainable - leading for RIGI BAHNEN AG
- Swisstainable - engaged RigiPlus AG.
- TourCert certification of RIGI BAHNEN AG since March 2019.
- Thanks to the Rigi 2030 Charter, there are framework conditions and strategies for the long-term sustainable development of the Rigi.
- From the Rigi for the Rigi: Free rail transport for food that needs to be delivered on the Rigi.
- Fighting food waste: The Hotel Rigi Kaltbad reduces food waste through artificial intelligence and thus saves costs.
- Oeko-Hotel Gruebisbalm: Agriculture is an important part of Gruebisbalm. The farm produces natural, fresh products for the guests and supplies various partners on and around the Rigi with regional products.
- The Kräuter Hotel Edelweiss uses only Swiss products with the additional restriction that they are also grown in Switzerland. In accordance with the terroir philosophy, it prefers to use products from the immediate surroundings, the corresponding climates and the potential found with the local people.
- Berggasthaus Rigi Scheidegg/Bärenstube: Also fights against food waste. Their leftovers are processed into biogas.
- Truly Schwyz: 11 Rigi restaurants offer menus with regional Schwyz products, true to the principle of «ächt Schwyz».
The entire region is committed to caring for the environment in a variety of areas.