The tucked-away Catholic Chapel in the Rocks on the way to Känzeli dates from 1770. The name refers to the fact that the chapel is situated between rocks.
Official content of
In earlier times, this place was called Schwesternborn (Sisters' Spring). The legend tells how, in the time of the Emperor Albrecht of Austria - at the start of the 14th century - three devout sisters retreated to this wilderness to escape the violent overlords who wanted to abduct them. There, they led a pious life. According to the legend, after the death of the last of the three sisters, a spring emerged, spouting healing water. Many people came to be healed by bathing in the cold water that was diverted into a trough. That is where the name Kaltbad (cold bath) comes from.
The first chapel was inaugurated in 1585. In 1779, the mayor Justus Zimmermann had the chapel demolished and a new one built in its place, designed by the architect Jakob Singer. Barely a day goes by without someone coming to the chapel to light a candle and pray about their most pressing concerns.
The chapel holds 120 people and is ideal for weddings and christenings. To inquire about a wedding or christening, please contact the Catholic Parish Office in Weggis. The restaurants in nearby Rigi Kaltbad will be glad to provide drinks or a meal afterwards.